Wednesday, May 30, 2012

LETTING GO


 1 Samuel 1:19-28

"I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him" (1Sam.1:27).

Letting Go
written by: Duane Brush
(Editor of Word Action)

Nora and I took our only child to begin his first year in college. We quickly moved him into the dorm, hugs were exchanged, and we prepared to head home. Pulling away, I glanced in the rearview mirror and saw him waving. As I waved back, my heart broke. We had crossed a milestone; things would never be the same again. I grieved for the child that had been ours for 18 years, yet knew this was an important step for him to become the man God wanted him to be.

 All parents face the pain of letting go. It my be on a college campus, at a military induction center, or that first job and apartment away from home. For Hannah, the moment came very early. We only imagine what she felt as she hugged Samuel one last time and placed his tiny hand into Eli's.

"So now I give him to the Lord" (v.28a). "Give" is such a complete word, one of total surrender. Still, for us who live by faith there can be no better place for our child-- or ourselves.



Children are a heritage from the Lord, offspring a reward from him (Ps. 127:3).

Written by: Duane Brush
(Editor of Word Action)

Word Action

No comments:

Post a Comment