Friday, May 25, 2012

AN EXPERT WITNESS

 Acts 2:25-36
"God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of the fact" (Acts 2:32)


An Expert Witness


written by: Derl G Keefer

(District Superintendent,
Wisconsin District Church
of the Nazarene)


It was the early 1980's I was the pastor of a church in one of the CHICAGO suburbs. When called to the church no one told me that the church was under a lawsuit for an incident that occurred at the daycare seven years earlier. A little girl had been playing under a tree and ran into a branch  causing partial damage to the eye. The parents sued the church. The case wound itself through the lower courts and was now headed to the Federal court and jury in downtown Chicago-at Christmas. The beauty of Chicago at Christmas was lost to me in a courtroom for nearly two weeks.

Witnesses for both sides were called, some of them "expert" witnesses. The job of the witnesses was to convince the jury what was true and what was false. At the end of the trail the jury believed the witness for the church and acquitted us from guilt. 

Jesus came to give his life for me. When I asked him into my life I discovered that he forgave me of my sins and changed my life. I want to be an "expert" witness for Christ so that others can find the exhilarating joy of sins forgiven! 


If a person is filled with the Holy Spirit, (their) witness will not be optional or mandatory-- it will be inevitable (Richard Halverson).

No comments:

Post a Comment